This position will especially appeal to CPAs looking to maintain financial professional responsibilities and yet are interested and ready to expand more and more into general/operations management.
Having started business in Canada in 2005, our customer is a large, profitable and growing, European-based infrastructure construction company with a Canadian head office in Mississauga.
Some work related travel is required.
Our customer wants to hire a qualified CPA as Canadian Corporate Controller/Operations Manager – one with enough skills, experience and interest outside of accounting and finance to effectively lead both finance and aspects of operations at the same time.
The salary range for this Canadian Corporate Controller/Operations Manager position is $200,000 to $210,000, (dependent upon experience) benefits including a company vehicle, bonus and payment of annual CPA membership & training/P.D. fees.
If you are or know of a hands-on Chartered Professional Accountant who has strong leadership and effective management of multi-disciplinary staff, contract management/negotiation, budgeting, planning and financial management skills, ideally developed within the construction industry, please arrange for a resume to be sent to email@example.com e-mail subject line: Construction Corporate Controller Application by November 30.
Our customer will be doing their own screening and interviewing on this project. Our thanks to all applicants for their time, interest and attention but, only those selected by the customer for next step consideration will be contacted by them directly. Please see details below. No agencies please.
- Able to work effectively within a fast-paced, deadline oriented, multi-tasking environment while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
- Able to effectively supervise more than 20 people/contractors and the staff in accounting
- Comfortable working in both urban, rural, office and construction site environments
- Proven effective interpersonal skills
- Flexibility and a team players DNA so business needs and urgent demands are met while effectively managing the everyday tasks of a financial leader and operations manager
- Excellent oral and written communications skills (English)
- Well organised and able to effectively plan, organise and develop the work progress of others – both in and outside of finance/accounting
- Strong, positive business values and ethics and able to utilise effective business judgement and make important business decisions both within finance and throughout the Canadian business
- The incumbent must be bondable for professional liability insurance purposes, pass a criminal record check and able to qualify for the confidential security clearances required for large infrastructure projects
- Able to read blueprints, schemas and construction project drawings
- Hire and effectively supervise activities of subcontractors and prepare related reports
- Experience with effectively managing large budgets ($8 million + in this case)
- Hands-on, effective use of or able to quickly learn MS Access, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Windows, MS Word, AutoCAD, MS Office, MS Outlook, MS Project and Microsoft Visio
- The company uses Primavera as its ERP software solution
- Authorise and organise the establishment of major departments and associated senior staff positions.
- Allocate material, human and financial resources to implement organisational policies and programs.
- Establish objectives for the organisation and formulate or approve policies and programs.
- Establish financial and administrative controls.
- Formulate and approve promotional campaigns.
- Approve overall human resources planning.
- Select middle managers, directors and other executive staff.
- Wisely and effectively delegate the necessary authority to staff and create optimum working conditions.
- Coordinate the work of regions, divisions or departments.
- Represent the organisation or delegate representatives to act on behalf of the organisation during negotiations or other official functions.
- Select trade subcontractors and coordinate their activities.
- Prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements.
- Prepare and submit construction project budget estimates.
- Oversee the analysis of data and information.
- Plan and manage budgets.
- Plan and prepare construction schedules and milestones and monitor progress.
- Establish and implement policies and procedures for quality control.
- Direct the purchase of building materials and land acquisitions.
- Develop and implement quality control programs.
- Recruit, hire and supervise staff and/or volunteers.
- Plan, organise, direct, control and evaluate daily operations.
- Oversee, supervise and manage accounting/financial reporting functions and related staff.
- Other tasks and projects, reporting requirements and participation in special projects required of a financial and operations executive consistently looking to add both top and bottom line value.