Our customer is a multi-disciplinary, profitable and growing, nationwide, 100% employee owned, consulting engineering firm based in Ottawa – with another key office in Thunder Bay. The approximately 400 employee strong company provides a broad spectrum of environmental, geotechnical, blast and demolition engineering and consulting services. They have gained considerable expertise in major capital projects in challenging fields – particularly in the manufacturing, infrastructure and mining sectors as well as for various government agencies and First Nations communities.
Their dedication to providing innovative, environmentally-friendly, responsive solutions has helped them build long lasting relationships and industry respect.
Our customer wants to hire a qualified CPA as Assistant Controller – someone who will be able to continue to progress in their financial professional career within the company.
The salary range for this Assistant Controller position is $85,000 to $105,000, (dependent upon experience) benefits and payment of annual CPA membership & training/P.D. fees.
If you are or know of a hands-on Chartered Professional Accountant or finalist who has strong knowledge of financial accounting, reporting & cycles, strong analytical skills, advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and controls monitoring & improvement skills, please arrange for a resume to be sent to email@example.com, e-mail subject line: Assistant Controller Application by June 19.
Our customer will be doing their own screening and interviewing on this project. Our thanks to all applicants for their time, interest and attention but, only those selected by the customer for next step consideration will be contacted by them directly. Please see details below. No agencies please.
The company requires an Assistant Controller who:
- Is not just an employee but a financial professional who takes an ownership approach to the work performed and the company as a whole.
- Is results driven, inquisitive, dynamic, responsive and zealous.
- Is organised, with the ability to proactively prioritise.
- Has strong communication and people skills (written & spoken English).
- Brings positive people skills and a team player mindset.
- Provides a high standard of service to other departments as required.
- Brings strong attention to detail and problem-solving abilities.
- Can effectively lead a team as well as collaborate with them and other department leaders and staff.
- Comes equipped with the ability to effectively manage multiple demands on your time and still meet tight deadlines.
- Has progressive financial accounting experience – including hands-on preparation of financial statements.
- Has a strong understanding of accounting principles (Cdn. GAAP).
- Comes equipped with advanced Microsoft Excel (Pivot Tables & V Look Ups) and Word skills.
- Has or will be able to quickly become proficient in ERP systems, project accounting and supervisory experience. The company uses Deltek’s Ajera – accounting & project management software.
- Has strong general accounting and hands-on financial reporting knowledge and skills/experience.
- Is a team player and a collaborator who will also maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Positively contributes utilising attention to detail, accuracy and a solid understanding of accounting policies and general accounting principles.
- Ensures compliance with the financial policies of the organisation.
Upon arrival, meet with the Controller and Director, Finance, the other accounting staff, establish and then actively maintain constructive business relationships with them. Learn about the current ERP system(s) and existing current procedures, the financial reporting requirements and start to plan and take action to ensure that you get up-to-speed regarding the Assistant Controller responsibilities will take place ASAP.
Within 30 days, working collaboratively under the management oversight of the Controller , learn and start to take on responsibility for financial reporting, analysis, reconciliations and assist with other function specific tasks.
Reporting to the Controller, the Assistant Controller will be responsible for the supervision of daily accounting activities and accounting personnel.
Manager all aspects of the general ledger and the integrity of accounting data.
Ensure accurate and timely completion of month-end closing, including completion of journal entries and account reconciliations.
Assist in the preparation of financial statements and management reports.
Perform financial, project and cost variance analysis.
Establish, monitor and/or maintain internal controls.
Work in conjunction with the Controller to improve systems and efficiencies as well as the level of service provided to management and other departments.
Assist in the budget planning process.
Research accounting issues as required to ensure compliance with Cdn. GAAP.
Perform tax reporting and compliance work.
Prepare and analyse monthly financial reports.
Ensure compliance with local, provincial and federal reporting requirements.
As required, help the Controller/Director, Finance manage any external audits by the government(s) and/or other regulatory bodies.
Provide ongoing process improvement/enhancement input and consistently help to ensure data integrity, accuracy and reconciliation to source documents and reports.
Other tasks and projects, reporting requirements and participation in special departmental projects required of a Assistant Controller consistently looking to add value beyond the fundamentals of accurate and timely reporting by demonstrating what can be done do help improve processes, controls, systems and personal performance.
Prepare skills so, when the time is right, career progression to become Controller is a self-evident business decision for the Director, Finance to make.