Our customer is a profitable, $10-$20 million per year (dependent on the size and number of custom manufacturing projects contracted for), leading, North American manufacturer of large, custom, machinery. The company, started in 1999, maintains its leadership position by providing cutting edge engineered products which are customised for each client’s needs and top-notch installation and customer service. The majority of the company’s customers are in the United States.
The Assistant Controller position is available because the current Controller will retire between six months and approximately one year after the start date of the incoming Assistant Controller. The current Controller will job share, train and stay on-board until the incoming Assistant Controller can independently assume all duties. Please note, other than Accounts Payable, the current Controller is the only accounting position within the company and is therefore a 100% hands-on role.
The salary range for this Assistant Controller position is $80,000 to $95,000, (dependent upon experience and performance) benefits and payment of annual CPA membership & training/P.D. fees. Upon the Controller’s retirement, the salary range of the Controller position is $96K – $120K (dependent upon experience and performance).
The Assistant Controller position reports to the Controller whom reports directly to the President (Co-Owner), indirectly to the other two, active within the business, Co-Owners (the VP Engineering & VP, Manufacturing).
If you are or know of a Chartered Professional Accountant with a manufacturing or other production plant background, one who has strong technical accounting, financial reporting Microsoft Excel (V Look Ups) hands-on knowledge & skills, please arrange for a resume to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail subject line: Mfg. Assistant Controller Application by December 18.
Cost Accounting and foreign exchange skills/knowledge/experience are a significant benefit but, the Controller is also happy to teach beyond the basics. Successful candidates must at least know the basics in these two service areas. Please see job description details below. No agencies please.
- Able to work independently within accounting and financial reporting and, wherever possible, continuously improve the quality of the service and/or reporting provided.
- Be systematic and logical in approach to the work, and financial analysis, ensuring that all the necessary facts and information are available and accurate and the decisions taken by the President and/or team of Owners are astute and carefully considered.
- Provide methodical, dependable, timely and objective services at a high level for both internal and external customers (owners/banks/external auditors/gov’ts).
- Set your own clear work objectives and operating procedures, self-monitor progress, take corrective action and control performance levels so deadlines are consistently met.
- Able to work effectively within a multi-tasking environment where work interruption occurs but still maintain accuracy, attention to detail and timeliness.
- Hands-on manufacturing accounting experience is required because a beyond-audit understanding of manufacturing is vital to success within this rather independent financial professional position.
- Able to effectively work within an entrepreneurial environment where goals are clear but each Owner’s methods of achievement are often innovative when compared to traditional line production manufacturing processes.
- Comfortable regularly coming out of the office onto the production floor to communicate, obtain information and perspective and become as knowledgeable as possible regarding the business, it’s custom products and related parts.
- Proven effective interpersonal skills and abilities to both take direction and introduce new or alternative ideas/methods/approaches.
- Flexibility and a team player’s DNA so business needs and urgent demands are met while effectively managing the everyday tasks of an independent, hands-on, financial manager.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills (English).
- Well organised and able to effectively plan, organise and develop your own work progress.
- Strong, positive, business values and ethics and able to implement and/or maintain controls appropriate for an entrepreneurial, owner managed, business environment.
- Able to understand and/or quickly learn the company’s cost accounting principals and current techniques.
- Work effectively with the President (an Owner), the VP, Engineering (an Owner) and VP, Manufacturing (an Owner) as a team player
- Hands-on, effective use of, or able to very quickly learn, MS Excel. Linked spreadsheets,V Look Ups, complicated formulas evaluating data and SQL data import from JobBoss to Excel skills are required.
- Be a person with a professional attitude and professional standards, but willing to adapt to the company culture.
- Quickly learn and effectively use JobBoss – they company’s ERP software solution. And, when/where appropriate explore different/ new ERP or SaaS solutions.
- Effectively utilise or very quickly learn Crystal Reports for ad hoc custom reporting after personally pulling information/data out of JobBoss.
- Upon arrival, job shadow the current Controller to actively learn about the business, understand the reporting requirements, how to use and manage the JobBoss ERP system and the Crystal Reports more detailed reporting techniques.
- Perform some Human Resources functions such as new employee set up and run weekly ADP payroll.
- Within 30 days, develop a broad understanding of our manufacturing processes, and our customer’s manufacturing processes.
- Personally perform day-to-day accounting operations and monthly financial reporting functions.
- Manage the company’s finances and financial reporting and also annually report for two holding companies.
- Personally look after A/R Collections and Credits.
- After approximately 60 days, under the guidance of the Controller, start to mesh with and act as a team member.
- Personally deliver timely and accurate monthly and quarterly financial reports for management and the bank.
- Liaise with the bank and provide corporate banking compliance and routine reporting, maintenance of bank accounts and daily banking requirements.
- Monthly and upon request Cash Flow Management and reporting.
- Maintain supplier credit terms and aged payables.
- Approval and maintenance of customer credit terms and aged receivables.
- After 90 days, under the guidance of the Controller, manage foreign exchange and learn how forward contracts are monitored and wisely executed. Most sales are to customers in the United States.
- Under the supervision of the Controller, personally begin to issue forecasts.
- Administration of Letter’s of Credit and Foreign Exchange Hedging.
- Liaise with and provide external auditors everything they require for the year-end full audit (Sept. year-end).
- Implement and maintain an effective Cost Accounting System for each project utilising the JobBoss ERP system. The company builds large, custom, machines that take months to build. WIP (Work in Progress) can be large but, will fluctuate. Accurate costing is essential for margin analysis and effective cash flow management.
- When possible, implement more frequent project progress financial update reports so the VP, Manufacturing can take early steps to reduce project specific costs where and when appropriate.
- Provide administrative support for the Parts/Customer Service department. An effective information exchange is required so purchases can be effectively allocated back to specific jobs.
- Maintain the JobBoss ERP system, including system updates, backups and problem solving – along with outsourced IT staff and the ERP help desk.
- Train other users on the JobBoss ERP system and evaluate other solution options when appropriate.
- Generate ad hoc reports. Some knowledge of Crystal Reports or other SQL database reporting will be an asset.
- Annually, provide accurate financial information to the external accountants for tax compliance administration purposes.
- During the annual inventory, working in cooperation with the external auditor(s), one of the Owners and the Controller walk around the plant together so the Owner can explain what the modules do, and the stage of completion. WIP is the only inventory the company has on the books.
- Other tasks and projects, reporting requirements and participation in special projects required of a financial professional looking to effectively serve as a team mate on an experienced, lean and yet successful team.